$ARB airdrop eligibility and distribution specifications
This document is currently in public preview and may change significantly as feedback is captured from readers like you. Click the Request an update button at the top of this document or join the Arbitrum Discord to share your feedback.
The only official website for the $ARB airdrop is https://arbitrum.foundation. There is no presale. Don't ever share your seed phrase. When in doubt, join the Discord to ask for clarification.
|Initial supply cap||10 billion|
|Inflation||Max 2% per year|
|Minting/burning mechanism||L2 smart contract|
|Bridgeable to Ethereum L1?||Yes|
|Tokens launch on||Arbitrum One|
|On-chain governance (voting) happens on||Arbitrum One|
|Airdrop snapshot||Block 58642080 on Arbitrum One = February 6th, 2023|
|Claiming started||Block 16890400 on Ethereum Mainnet = March 23rd, 2023. Please note that $ARB cannot be minted or claimed on the Ethereum Mainnet; it is only minted and claimable on Arbitrum One.|
|Claiming ends||Block 18208000 on Ethereum Mainnet = September 23rd, 2023 (estimated). Please note that $ARB cannot be minted or claimed on the Ethereum Mainnet; it is only minted and claimable on Arbitrum One.|
Initial token allocation & airdrop distribution
|Percentage of initial supply||Number of tokens||Allocated to|
|42.78%||4.278 billion||Arbitrum DAO treasury|
|26.94%||2.694 billion||Offchain Labs Team and Future Team + Advisors|
|17.53%||1.753 billion||Offchain Labs investors|
|11.62%||1.162 Billion||Users of the Arbitrum platform (via airdrop to user wallet addresses)|
|1.13%||113 million||DAOs building apps on Arbitrum (via airdrop to DAO treasury addresses)|
User airdrop eligibility details
A points system was used to determine the number of tokens that airdrop recipients can claim. Points criteria was focused primarily on Arbitrum One; however, there was a small subset of criteria applied to activity on Arbitrum Nova. Points earned on Arbitrum Nova could either bring a user up to 4 points total, or give them one additional point if they had already scored 4 points or more on Arbitrum One. You earn maximum one point per qualifying action performed before the snapshot date. Point scores were capped at 15.
Additionally, as the criteria and design of the airdrop as a whole was intentioned to reward early adopters, points scored (minimum of three) before Arbitrum Nitro was launched on Arbitrum One mainnet are worth twice as much as points scored after. Arbitrum Nitro launched on Arbitrum One mainnet at block #22207817 (Aug-31-2022 02:32:22 PM +UTC).
Points earned on Arbitrum One
- Bridged funds into Arbitrum One
- Conducted transactions during two distinct months
- Conducted transactions during six distinct months
- Conducted transactions during nine months
- Conducted more than four transactions or interacted with more than four different smart contracts
- Conducted more than ten transactions or interacted with more than ten different smart contracts
- Conducted more than 25 transactions or interacted with more than 25 different smart contracts
- Conducted more than 100 transactions or interacted with more than 100 different smart contracts
- Conducted transactions exceeding in the aggregate $10,000 in value
- Conducted transactions exceeding in the aggregate $50,000 in value
- Conducted transactions exceeding in the aggregate $250,000 in value
- Bridged more than $10,000 of assets into Arbitrum One
- Bridged more than $50,000 of assets into Arbitrum One
- Bridged more than $250,000 of assets into Arbitrum One
Points earned on Arbitrum Nova
- Bridged funds into Arbitrum Nova
- Conducted more than three transactions
- Conducted more than five transactions
- Conducted more than ten transactions
Converting Points to tokens:
|Points scored (values represent points scored pre-Nitro)||Airdrop entitlement|
|Less than 3||Not eligible|
|12 or more||10,250|
As described earlier, points scored before and after Arbitrum Nitro was deployed on Arbitrum One mainnet were weighted differently. Points scored before Arbitrum Nitro were worth twice as much as points scored after -- as a result any points scored after Nitro resulted in half as much of an allocation per point shown in the table above. If an address only became fully eligible (minimum of three points) post-nitro, all points scored counted as post-nitro points. Thus, the minimum airdrop entitlement is 625 tokens, half of the minimum entitlement in the table above; the maximum airdrop entitlement is 10250 tokens.
To prevent bots from taking advantage of the airdrop, a number of anti-Sybil rules were established:
- If an airdrop recipient's wallet transactions have all occurred within a 48-hour period, one point is subtracted.
- If an airdrop recipient's wallet balance is less than .005 ETH, and if the wallet hasn't interacted with more than one smart contract, one point is subtracted.
- If an airdrop recipient's wallet address has been identified as a Sybil address during the Hop protocol bounty program the recipient is disqualified.
Refer to Arbitrum Sybil Hunting to learn more about the Sybil mitigation methodology. Refer to our Sybil accounts concept document for a conceptual introduction to Sybil accounts.
DAO airdrop criteria and distribution
A separate distribution was allocated for DAOs that are building applications in the Arbitrum ecosystem, as well as the Protocol Guild, a collective of Ethereum contributors. In putting together this criteria we worked with Nansen and analyzed on-chain data to determine how many tokens each DAO community was granted. In doing so we took into account a variety of qualitative and quantitative metrics including when the protocol launched, whether it was native or multichain, how much TVL, activity, transaction volume, value of transactions it had, as well as the consistency of maintaining those metrics. The goal of using a broad variety of criteria was recognizing that Arbitrum is home to a diversity of projects that have different KPIs and user interactions.
You can view the full list of DAOs and their allocations here.
Vesting and lockup details
While the user and DAO airdrops will be available in one week, all investor and team tokens are subject to 4 year lockups, with the first unlocks happening in one year and then monthly unlocks for the remaining three years.